Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Gardner's pot

Nikhil had just Graduated from a reputed business school. His father was a wealthy man owning a flourishing export business. Nikhil joined his father with high hopes of multiplying the volume of business manifold. But father insisted that he work at the grass roots and understand the practical aspects of work before mooting any big changes. The More he tried to work as per father's insisted that he work at the grass roots and understand the practical aspects of work before mooting any big changes. The more he tried to work as per father's instructions the more frustrated he felt.

One day he was feeling very disillutioned. He went and sat in the garden. An earthen pot that was used everyday by the gardner to water the plants lay beside him. All of a suddent the pot began to talk to nikhil. It said, "Dear one,why are ou so sad??" Nikhil Replied,"I am sick of working so hard,as per my dad's instruections, he doesnt let me control the business."

"Listen to my story from the beginning. At the beginning of my journey, I was just a heap of mud. A potter put water into me and kneaded me again and again till I became smooth and shiny. Then he put me in his potter's wheel and spun me around till my head went dizzy. He kept engraving lines on my skin to make a patern . It was so painful." The pot continued as the boy kept listening intently."Thats not all, then i was put into a very very hot oven and baked till my skin got burnt. I could barely breathe. When I was fully break, they set me out in the cold winter night till I cooled down. Lastly a painter came and added a coat of red paint to my exterior. But after all ther my value has increased manifold. I am a pot that is use by your gardner everyday to water the plants. All tehse furits and flowers they bear are my friends. Each time the gardener takes me close to them, they blow kisses to me they love me dearly. Had I not gone through so many hardsips to become something of value?"

The boy stroked the pot lovingly and said, "You are great. I think I have many things to do;I'd better get going. But I'll never forget what you told me. Thank you for each word that you spoke to inspire me".

This simple story tells you a lot about life. To climb a steep hill, you have to bend forward, if you continue to hold your head upwards, the climb shall become difficult and tiring.

No comments: